Skyscanner and Yahoo! Japan launch joint venture

Edinburgh-based price comparison site Skyscanner and Yahoo! Japan have announced a joint venture.

Skyscanner Japan will combine Skyscanner’s flight search with Yahoo!’s position as one of the largest sites in the country, serving on average more than 60 billion page views a month.

Japan is the third largest travel market in the world, with 2015 bookings estimated to reach $71bn.

The companies will put in a total of $2.5m to launch the joint venture. Skyscanner will hold a 51 per cent stake and Yahoo Japan will own the remaining 49 per cent.

“Skyscanner Japan is a start-up backed by a leading global travel search engine and the biggest search engine in the world’s third biggest travel market,” said Gareth Williams, co-founder and chief executive of Skyscanner.

The joint venture will run independently but both companies will locate executives in Tokyo for the launch.

Leave a Reply