More people working in Scotland’s tech sector feel optimistic about their business prospects in 2024 than the previous year, according to a new survey.

According to the poll by ScotlandIS – the tech trade body – 78 per cent of tech sector workers feel optimistic about the economy, a rise of six points from 2023.

Of those surveyed, 90 per cent expected to see an increase in sales, with the remaining 10 per cent expecting to remain the same rather than decrease. What’s more, 29 per cent predicted a rise by more than a fifth.

Additionally, 70 per cent of businesses surveyed said they were expecting to increase their headcount in the next 12 months with just two per cent saying they had plans to cut jobs. 

Amid an ongoing skills shortage, businesses are set to turn to recent graduates to fill at least some of this expansion, with 62 per cent planning to hire recent graduates.

Karen Meechan, ScotlandIS CEO, said: “Time and again, the tech sector in Scotland has provided a source of great economic optimism. The responses to this year’s survey are further proof of this. During one of the toughest economic periods in a generation, these figures show how robust our industry really is.

“With sales and job opportunities both expected to rise, the positive impact Scottish tech has on the national economy is only set to increase. However, it remains vital that we don’t take this for granted. Like any ecosystem, Scottish tech needs supported and cultivated in order for growth to continue.

“While we’re clearly cognisant of broader economic challenges, as well as the tough choices facing government, many of our members have faced extremely difficult times in recent years. Covid, Brexit and a sustained period of economic stagnation have all contributed to a challenging landscape.

“The chronic shortage of skilled tech workers, in particular, has proved problematic for many. What’s more, recent changes to the income tax bands north of the border have certainly not helped our competitiveness when it comes to attracting top talent. I only hope the positive responses to this year’s survey will reiterate the potential that exists within Scottish tech and remind policy makers how much the industry can contribute to Scotland’s economic prosperity.”

The full report can be downloaded here.