International business committee re-established by Scottish industry body
An international business committee has been re-established by a key Scottish trade and industry body in order to tackle post-Brexit ‘market access barriers’ and support economic recovery from Covid-19.
The Scottish Council for Development and Industry (SCDI) has re-constituted the body in order to support businesses trying to navigate new global trading relationships.
The 15-strong group – which features prominent business people from across Scotland, including Scotland’s tech trade body interim chief executive Karen Meechan – will meet quarterly and be chaired by Martin Bell, deputy director of trade at the Scotch Whisky Association.
Clare Reid, director of policy and public affairs said: “SCDI has over the past 90 years been at the forefront of economic debate and discussion. Our roots are in forging and increasing the value of Scotland’s trading relationships as well as in increasing Scotland’s capabilities in international trade. At this time of challenge to the UK’s trading relationships with the world we are keen to give this area added focus. To enable this, we are re-establishing our International Business Committee. The committee is meeting virtually for the first time this week.”
She added: “We are delighted that this committee of senior business leaders with a wealth of experience in international trade matters will meet quarterly and focus on driving SCDI’s international trade policy and engagement.”
Martin Bell said: “As we emerge from the Covid crisis, tackling market access barriers facing Scottish exporters will be every bit as important as traditional trade promotion. I look forward to working with colleagues on the group, SCDI and government to open up new business opportunities overseas with the high-quality jobs they bring.”
The members of the international business committee are as follows:
- Afzal Khushi, Director, Jacobs and Turner Ltd (Trespass)
- Andrew Ritchie, External Affairs Manager, Shell
- David Lott, Deputy Director, Universities Scotland
- David Thomson, Chief Executive, Food and Drink Federation Scotland
- Fiona Hamill, Government & Public Affairs Manager, Janssen
- Hiroshi Matsumoto, CFO, Mackintosh
- Ian Wall, SCDI Chair
- James Kenny, Head of Global Affairs, Ove Arup & Partners International
- Joanna Boag-Thomson, Partner, Shepherd & Wedderburn
- Karen Meechan, Chief Executive, ScotlandIS
- Martin Bell, Global Affairs Deputy Director, The Scotch Whisky Association
- Paul Kerr, Managing Director, Scottish Water Horizons
- Stephanie Terreni Brown, Managing Director, Clean Water Wave
- Stephen Phillips, Partner & Member of Brexit Group, CMS
- Tavish Scott, Chief Executive, The Scottish Salmon Producers’ Organisation